Sunday, June 22, 2008

Goodwill Style Show


The Goodwill in our area has lots of vintage and antique clothing going all the way back to the late 1800s, and to raise money they put on style shows for various events. My mother-in-law volunteers as a model every now and then, and in May I went along to a church women's tea to take some portraits.


It was fun to see all the clothes, but I think my favorite part of taking these pictures was learning about Photoshop Elements. I have a book that gives all kinds of tips for touching up portraits or other photos, and I spent lots of time editing (which is partly why it has taken me so long to get these posted).
I set up my tripod to get some nice portraits just before the models went out to the "catwalk" (really they just walked around the tables where the ladies were sitting).
It was kind of hectic. The models had to get dressed quickly because many of them were modelling several outfits. I wasn't very comfortable with my tripod (it's still pretty new), so I was feeling nervous. I think I would have done better using my nice flash and hand-holding the camera. Because things were happening so quickly, I ended up just using the built-in flash, and I had to edit several strange-looking shadows out of some of the pictures.


Eventually I moved over to the window so I could use the blue curtain as a backdrop. I think this worked much better than the wall.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

never go out of fashion :)

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! These are some amazing pictures and amazing cloths!

Sarah Jane said...

I'm SO pleased to see that you're back. I thought I'd check on an off chance this morning, and was happy to find several posts! I think I'll steal one of these of mom to put on my blog. Very pretty.